The filling in this simple strudel is a wonderful blend of poppyseeds, honey, almond milk, and coconut butter.
MAKES ABOUT 24 1-INCH THICK PIECES
2 small eggs divided
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2⁄3 cup very warm water
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 cups poppyseeds, ground well
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup hot water or almond milk
1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely ground
1/2 cup coconut butter
- For the dough, beat 1 egg, salt, and 1⁄3 cup of oil. Add water and continue beating until frothy.
- Gradually add flour and mix to form a soft dough.
- Place dough on a floured cloth and knead, gradually adding more flour until the dough is firm and does not stick to the cloth. (Too much flour causes dough to become too firm and dry).
- Place dough in a bowl moistened with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 1 hour in a warm place.
- For the strudel, mix poppyseeds, sugar, honey, lemon zest, and vanilla with hot water or milk. Add in walnuts and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 ̊F. Roll out dough on floured cloth and stretch with hands until paper thin.
- Place pats of coconut butter over entire dough.
- Spoon filling onto dough and gently spread, leaving 1 inch free around the edge and 6 inches empty at 1 end.
- Tuck in the edges and roll as a jelly roll, toward the unfilled end.
- Place on a lined tray with the seam side down and brush the top with the remaining beaten egg.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet or silicone mat for 45 minutes.
Made it? Tell us about it–