This delicious baked custard combines the sweetness of ripe pears with a hint of fresh lemon. Serve warm with ice cream.
China squirrel celebrates autumn food and crafts at an Aussie country farm.
Recipes + Crafts + Styling + Photography by china squirrel
SERVES 4 TO 6
3 ounces butter, melted and cooled
3 teaspoons lemon zest, freshly grated
1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
1⁄3 cup cornmeal
pinch salt 3 large eggs
3⁄4 cup farm-harvested honey
1⁄2 cup heavy cream
3 Bosc pears
ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch pie plate, and place it on a baking sheet.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together butter, zest, and sugar until well combined.
- Stir in cornmeal and salt. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until combined.
- Mix in honey and cream until just combined.
- Remove the core from pears (I left the skin on), and then slice each one into 8 wedges.
- Arrange the pear slices in a fan shape on the pie plate. Gently pour in the custard mix.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving with ice cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–