These potatoes are so rich and comforting. These are a great side dish all fall and winter long and even make a store-bought rotisserie chicken seem like a grand meal.
Serves 4, generously
You will need:
butter for your pan
1 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper,freshly ground
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
11⁄2 lbs russet potatoes (about 3 potatoes), peeled and very thinly sliced
1 cup coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350oF.
- Butter a 9”x13” baking dish.
- Put the half-and-half, salt, pepper, garlic, and horseradish in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add the onion, potatoes, and half of the cheese and stir to combine everything really well (your hands are the best tool for this job).
- Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the gratin until the potatoes are very tender (test with a paring knife) and the top is gorgeously browned and the whole thing is bubbling, 11⁄2 hours.
- Serve immediately.
You can make these ahead and reheat them in a warm oven.
Made it? Tell us about it–