These cute little loaves are a twist on the classic French friands.
MAKES 8 MINI LOAVES
5 ounces unsalted butter
4 ounces strawberries, hulled and halved
6 strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise, set aside
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1⁄4 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
1 teaspoon sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350oF. Butter an eight-compartment mini-loaf pan with butter and line the bottom of each section with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Sift together powdered sugar and flour, and set aside.
- Place strawberries in a bowl, and use a potato masher to crush.
- Place the egg whites and vanilla bean paste in a large bowl and whisk until just frothy. Add in sugar and flour mix, almond meal, melted butter and crushed strawberries. Mix together using a spoon until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pan, place 2 strawberry slices on the top of each mini loaf, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into each of the centers comes out clean.
- Let cakes stand in the tins for 3 to 4 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle tops with superfine sugar.
Made it? Tell us about it–