I always wanted to make my own mustard and a few days ago I did it. It's really good, strong, and sweet.
Makes about 1 cup
6 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon pink pepper corns
1/2 cup mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons white vine vinegar
2 tablespoons agave syrup
1/4 cup warm water
- Heat a pan and toast the mustard seeds and the pepper until the mustard seeds starts to dance around in the pan.
- Place in a food processor and grind. You only want to do it for a little bit as you want a lot of the mustard seeds to be whole.
- Place in a bowl and add the powder and salt.
- Add vinegar and agave and stir until you have a thick paste.
- Stir in the water a little at a time, if the mustard seems to thick just add a little more water.
- Place in a bowl with a lid and let it sit in the fridge for two days before using. Keeps for months.
Don't be tempted to use it right away, it will knock your socks off. It needs to mellow for two days before using.
Made it? Tell us about it–