Layers of sweet watermelon, whipped cream, and crunchy meringue come together to make a dessert that's like a layer cake without the cake!
- For the meringue, preheat oven to 250oF. Trace 3-inch x 7-inch circles onto 3 sheets of parchment paper. Turn the paper over and place onto 3 baking sheets.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3⁄4 cup of sugar, and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Continue beating for 2 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Divide the mixture between the 3 prepared baking sheets. Fill each 7-inch circle with meringue.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until meringue is crisp to touch. Turn off oven, and allow meringue to cool completely in the oven with its door ajar.
- In the meantime, toss strawberries, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and rosewater a large mixing bowl. Set aside and allow flavors to develop.
- Set the watermelon slices on cooling racks placed over baking pans to catch excess juice. Sprinkle watermelon with sugar. Allow to stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Use an electric mixture to beat cream and powdered sugar together until thick.
- When the meringues are cool, place one meringue on a serving platter, and top with a watermelon slice. Spread 1⁄3 of the whipped cream on the watermelon.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, finishing with a top layer of cream.
- Drain strawberries and arrange on top of cake. Scatter pistachios over cake, and decorate with rose petals and fresh strawberry leaves, if desired.
Made it? Tell us about it–